Government House, Fort, Bombay.
Artist: Gonsalves, Jose M. (fl. 1826-c.1842)
Lithograph of the Government House in the Fort in Bombay by Jose M. Gonsalves (fl. 1826-c.1842). Plate 2 from his 'Lithographic Views of Bombay' published in Bombay in 1826. Gonsalves, thought to be of Goan origin, was one of the first artists to practice lithography in Bombay and specialised in topographical views of the city.
This view of the Government House in the fort area of Bombay was taken from Bombay Green. On the right is the monument to Marquis Cornwallis, the Governor-General and Commander in Chief in India from 1786 to 1793. The location of the Government House in Bombay changed several times. Originally, the Government House was located in Bombay Castle. The second Government House, shown in this view, was situated in the fort area on Apollo Street and functioned as the official residence of the Governor until 1829. The third Government House at Parel had already been used as a Country retreat for the Governor from 1719. In the 1880s, the location of the Government House was moved once again to Malabar Point.