Ruins of the fort at Juanpore on the river Goomtee
Artist: Salt, Henry (1780-1827)
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
This aquatint is taken from plate 5 of Salt's 'Twenty Four Views in St. Helena, the Cape, India, Ceylon, the Red Sea, Abyssinia and Egypt'. The fort at Jaunpur was built by Feroz Shah Tughluq in 1360. Viscount Valentia, George Annesley wrote: "The castle rises considerably above the level of the country, and is venerable in its ruins. Our road lay on the opposite side of the river, through the midst of monuments and mosques in ruins, which gave an idea of ancient magnificence ... considerable trade is carried on between Oudh and Benares, by means of the river, which rises during the rains to a very great height, so as to cover the surrounding country. The view is taken at sun rise when the Hindoos hasten down to perform their morning ablutions, and the elephants are brought by their drivers to wash themselves."