This lithograph is taken from plate 13 of 'General Views of Lucknow' by Sir DS Dodgson. The Khurshid Manzil in Lucknow was designed in a hybrid European style. It was begun by Nawab Saadat Ali Khan and completed by his son Ghazi-ud-din. An Indian rebel position during the uprising of 1857, it was stormed and retaken by British troops on 17 November. By this time in the conflict the relieving force, under Campbell, and the garrison of the Residency, headed by generals Outram and Havelock, were separated by less than 400 yards. Possession of the Khurshid Manzil was the key to the relief of the Residency. So while Campbell advanced, Outram and Havelock were determined to press on towards him. It was at the sloping lawns of Khurshid Manzil that the three battle-weary commanders had their memorable meeting, cordially shaking hands, their mission accomplished. Early the next year, when the British had withdrawn from their hard-won posts, the Indian forces reoccupied them. Khurshid Manzil was finally recaptured in March 1858.