This lithograph is taken from plate 14 of 'General Views of Lucknow' by Sir DS Dodgson. The Moti Mahal (or Pearl Palace) of Lucknow was named after its pearl-shaped dome. It was built by Nawab Saadat Ali Khan. Two other buildings, the Mubarak Manzil and Shah Manzil, were built by his son as part of the complex on the river Gomti. The palace was surrounded by gardens and in its enclosures fights between large animals were staged. It was the scene of heavy fighting during the Indian rebel uprising in 1857, when the first relief column under General Havelock made its way towards the Residency in September. Several officers were killed or wounded. During the second relief under Colin Campbell in November, when the Indians had been driven out of Khurshid Manzil, they were pursued to Moti Mahal amid desperate bayonet fighting. The British drove their opponents from room to room and finally stood in sole possession. The sketch shows the area as seen in March 1858.