Interior of the compound of Alum Bagh
Artist: Dodgson, Sir David Scott (1822-1898)
Medium: Lithograph, coloured
This lithograph is taken from plate 15 of 'General Views of Lucknow' by Sir DS Dodgson. The Alam Bagh in Lucknow was built by the last Nawab of Avadh, Wajid Ali Shah, as a residence for one of his wives. He was deposed and exiled by the British in 1856, when they annexed the province. This was one of the causes for discontent which culminated in Indians erupting against British rule in 1857. At Lucknow, the bulk of the Indian rebel troops were concentrated in Alam Bagh. Taken by surprise when attacked by Havelock's force fighting towards the relief of Lucknow in September 1857, they fled in confusion and Alam Bagh was secured. Leaving a small force in charge, Havelock returned to the Residency. In November 1857 Kavanagh famously made his way from the Residency to Alam Bagh disguised as an Indian, for which he was awarded the Victoria Cross. He then guided Campbell's relieving force into the Residency, evading a hail of bullets. The grave of General Havelock is pcitured to the left.