Artist: Dodgson, Sir David Scott (1822-1898)
Medium: Lithograph, coloured
This lithograph is taken from plate 22 of 'General Views of Lucknow' by Sir DS Dodgson. Badshah Bagh is now the centre of the Lucknow University complex, but was originally a royal garden designed by Nasir-ud-Din Haidar, Nawab of Avadh (1827-37). Dodgson wrote that "it had a fine open pavilion for cockfights and was surrounded by pleasant walks".
The flower-filled garden and shallow lakes of water created a sylvan surrounding for the favourites among the Nawab's harem, which included European women. During the Indian uprising, in November 1857, the second relief force under Colin Campbell had advanced within a few hundred yards of its objective in Lucknow when it was raked with fire from Indian opponents in the Kaiser Bagh to the front and the Badshah Bagh behind. In March 1858, the British erected a battery at the south-west corner near the river Gomti to bombard the Kaiser Bagh which still contained hopeful rebels. After the uprising, the Maharajah of Kapurthala acquired Badshah Bagh.