Iron Bridge, from the left bank of the Goomtee
Artist: Dodgson, Sir David Scott (1822-1898)
Medium: Lithograph, coloured
This lithograph is taken from plate 23 of 'General Views of Lucknow' by Sir DS Dodgson. Gomti at Lucknow was not well-served by bridges in the 19th century. In fact there were only two solid constructions spanning it: a stone bridge and an iron bridge. The latter was cast only 20 years after the first iron bridge in England.
Designed by Sir John Rennie and based on a similar bridge over the Witham, at Boston in Lincolnshire, the bridge was purchased by Nawab Saadat Ali Khan (1798-1814) perhaps on the suggestion of French trader and property speculator, Major-General Claude Martin. Arriving from England in 1798, it lay in packing cases by the river for over 40 years. At last it was assembled and mounted to the north-west of the Residency by Colonel Fraser for Nawab Amjad Ali Shah (1842-7). On 16 March 1858, Dodgson relates, the Indians were dislodged from the Residency and were pursued rapidly by Fusiliers, who captured a gun positioned to rake the iron bridge.