A View of Part of the Palace of the late Nabob Suja ul Dowla at Fizabad(019XZZ000000307U00037000)
Artist: Hodges, William (1744-1797)
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
This is plate 37 from William Hodges' book 'Select Views in India'. In 1783 Hodges went to Faizabad and saw the abandoned palace of the Nawab of Oudh. Built on the south bank of the Ghaghara River, the palace was constructed by the third Nawab of Oudh, Shuja ud-Daula (1754-75) and was named 'Fort Calcutta'. In 1775 his successor, Asaf ud-Daula, abandoned the palace when he decided to shift Oudh's capital from Faizabad back to Lucknow.