The town and pass of Boondi in Rajpootana
Artist: Westall, W (1781-1850)
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
This is plate 23 from Robert Melville Grindlay's 'Scenery, Costumes and Architecture chiefly on the Western Side of India'. Grindlay (1786-1877) was only 17 when he arrived in India in 1803. He served with the Bombay Native Infantry from 1804 to 1820 and during this period made a large collection of sketches and drawings.
Situated on a southern slope of a hill at the end of a long range, the town of Boondi was the capital of the Rajput principality of that name. The palace of the Raja is a large masonry stone building "about half way up the hill", according to Grindlay, with "a kind of fortification" extending to the top.