View of the modern village of Mandoo, and of the ancient Mosque, the Jumah Musjid
Artist: Harris, Claudius Richard William (1826-1862)
Medium: Lithograph, coloured
This is plate 1 from 'The Ruins of Mandoo, the Ancient Mahommedan Capital of Malwah, in Central India' by Captain Claudius Harris.
Mandu was the capital city of the sultanate of Malwa between 1401 and 1561. Situated on the spur of a plateau of the Vindhya range in central India, the fortified medieval citadel overlooked the Narmada valley. Jahangir praised Mandu and its architecture in his memoirs and Shah Jahan was much influenced by it. He even restored some of the old palaces when he became governor of the region. Mandu has lain abandoned for over 400 years and its ruins are now near a tiny village and an expanse of farmers' fields. Harris sketched Mandu when his regiment, the 8th Madras Light Infantry, was posted to Mhow, 50 kilometres away. Already the city was desolate and poor. This view shows the Jami Masjid of Mandu. Facing the mosque are the remains of a gateway.