The Jahaz Mahal, or Water Palace
Artist: Harris, Claudius Richard William (1826-1862)
Medium: Lithograph, coloured
This is plate 3 from 'The Ruins of Mandoo, the Ancient Mahommedan Capital of Malwah, in Central India' by Captain Claudius Harris. Built by Ghiyas Shah of the Khilji dynasty (reigned 1469-1500), the Jahaz Mahal is one of Mandu's most magnificent buildings. It is situated in the centre of the citadel between two reservoirs, the Kapur Talao and the much larger Munja Talao. Terraced, and with domed pavilions, the multi-storey palace was decorated with fountains and pools and apparently housed the sultan's large harem. Harris wrote: "Its situation is peculiarly happy, exposed to the breezes which are wafted along the airy expanse from the south and the west. The scenery around is beautiful in the extreme, ... the pieces of water, covered with wild fowl; ... and on the skirts, numerous ruined buildings, belonging to the royal domain, peer out from the midst of lofty and luxuriantly foliaged trees."