Tank in Temple at Seringham, near Trichinopoly
Lithographer: Dibdin, Thomas Colman (1810-1893)
Medium: Lithograph, coloured
This is plate 21 from James Fergusson's 'Ancient Architecture in Hindoostan'. It shows the tank of the Shaiva Jambukeshvara Temple on Srirangam island on the Kaveri River, in Tamil Nadu. Dedicated to Shiva, the temple belongs to the Nayaka period in the 17th century. It has four concentric enclosures and seven gopurams (temple towers). Near the west gopuram is a tank and an imposing columned mandapa (assembly hall) known as the 'thousand-pillared hall'. In the small innermost sanctum lies perhaps the oldest object of worship here: a symbol of Shiva, known as a linga, submerged in a spring-fed hollow.