Exterior of a Vihara on the Udyagiri Hill
Lithographer: Dibdin, Thomas Colman (1810-1893)
Medium: Lithograph, coloured
This is plate 2 from James Fergusson's 'Illustrations of the Rock Cut Temples of India'.
Udayagiri or 'Sunrise Hill' is near Bhubaneshwa. It is the site of sandstone caves carved for Jain monks, and dates from the first century BC Chedi dynasty of ancient Kalinga (modern-day Orissa). There are 18 caves, of which the most famous are the Ranigumpha, the Ganeshagumpha, the Hathigumpha and the Manchipuri. The caves are generally low and narrow with small entrances to single cells or clusters of cells arranged around a central court. The cell interiors are plain but the facades and hallways are decorated with sculptures and friezes. This cave is a vihara (monastery) of two storeys. The upper floor lacks a verandah, an otherwise common feature of the larger caves at Udayagiri, and the doors open directly on to the cells.