Kannari. View of Durbar Cave
Lithographer: Dibdin, Thomas Colman (1810-1893)
Medium: Lithograph, coloured
This is plate 16 from James Fergusson's 'Illustrations of the Rock Cut Temples of India'. The Darbar Cave - or Hall of Assembly - is one of the most significant structures of the Kanheri Buddhist complex. Probably dating from the sixth century, it is situated to the north-east of the great Chaitya Cave of Kanheri. The verandah has plain octagonal pillars. The interior has two long stone benches on which to place manuscripts. There is a figure of a seated Buddha at the back and scores of celestial beings in flight.