The Fort, and North Gateway of the Great Kuttra, Dacca
Artist: D'Oyly, Sir Charles (1781-1845)
This etching is derived from plate 12 of Charles D'Oyly's 'Antiquities of Dacca'.
In his accompanying text, historian James Atkinson wrote: "[The fort] was erected in 1690 by Ibrahim Khan, the 5th of the Moghul Governors of Bengal. It was formerly full of buildings - but there is little more than a ruined wall with embrasures remaining. The city jail is built on its site. There was a mint established within the walls of the Fort, under the Moghul Government, which was continued by the East India Company, till the year 1797, when it was finally abolished." On the left stands the gateway of the Bara Katra, an impressive piece of imperial Mughal architecture which acted as a caravanserai; on the right stand the two domes of the Hussaini Dalan Mosque, which is next to the marketplace.