Part of the Interior of the City of Dacca
Artist: D'Oyly, Sir Charles (1781-1845)
This building was ereacted as a way of recording the height of the floodwaters in Dhaka during the monsoon season. It sits in the middle of a pool, surrounded on three sides by a brick terrace, with its fourth side open to a watercourse, or nullah. The pool was used by small boats as a shelter during storms. James Atkinson's descriptive text is sceptical about the accuracy of this "Ganges-ometer". In the foreground are the ruins of a footbridge.
This etching is taken from plate 18 of Charles D'Oyly's 'Antiquites of Dacca'.