Chandpaul Ghaut. Steam Engine. Supreme Court
Artist: Wood, William (fl. 1827-1833)
This lithograph derives from plate 1 from William Wood's 'Views of Calcutta'. Published in 1833, this was the first series on Calcutta produced by the lithographic process rather than engraving or aquatinting.
Chandpal Ghat is situated on the River Hooghly at Esplanade Row, and was the official landing stage for visitors to Calcutta. The steam engine seen in this view was installed in 1822 and pumped water directly from the river, washing the city streets as far as Park Street. The Supreme Court building opened in 1782 and the great orientalist Sir William Jones was judge here from 1783 until his death in 1794. Criminal and civil cases were heard here for both Indians and Europeans. This was also an appeal court for Europeans.