Artist: Wood, William (fl. 1827-1833)
This lithograph is taken from plate 2 from William Wood's 'Views of Calcutta'. In 1831 the London bookseller, artist and zoologist William Wood Senior began publishing his son's series of 28 lithographs of Calcutta. The prints reveal a panorama of buildings from the first city of British India as viewed from the Calcutta Maidan.
Esplanade Row was created by the clearing of the jungle around Fort William in 1757. The town hall, paid for by lottery money and designed by John Garstin, was completed in 1813. The building occupied the site of the houses of John Hyde, Supreme Court Justice and Advocate William Dunkin. Prior to this, official public entertainments had been held in the old court house.