Esplanade Row. Treasury. Entrance to Government House. Government House
Artist: Wood, William (fl. 1827-1833)
This lithograph derives from plate 3 of William Wood's 'Views of Calcutta'. The Treasury on Council House Street was built by the Reverend Mr Johnson in 1780.
Marquess Wellesley became Governor-General of Calcutta in 1798 and decided that the existing Government House was not a suitable building for his position and needs. Captain Charles Wyatt, the architect of the new Government House, based his designs for the building on Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire. Four large ceremonial gateways marked each end of the carriageways on the north and south facades. These were based on Adam's archways at Syon House in Middlesex.
The lower storey of Government House has an arcade with Ionic columns; on the north side of this is a portico with a large staircase, under which carriages drove to the entrance; on the south side a circular colonnade with a dome.