Esplanade Row. Cossitollah Road. Durrumtollah Road. Chowringhee Road
Artist: Wood, William (fl. 1827-1833)
This lithograph is taken from plate 6 of William Wood's 'Views of Calcutta'. Esplanade Row becomes Dhurrumtollah Street at the crossroad with Chowringhee Road, itself a continuation of Cossitollah Road. The large building at the beginning of Chowringhee Road is the Oil Bazaar. Cossitollah Road was so named because it was originally the butcher's quarter and contained both Indian and European businesses. It marked the beginning of the Indian part of the city and was subsequently renamed Bentinck Street. Dhurrumtollah Street contained a bazaar and a tank.