Chowringhee Road Plate 7
Artist: Wood, William (fl. 1827-1833)
This lithograph derives from plate 7 of William Wood's 'Views of Calcutta'. Wood produced 18 images of Chowringhee Road - now Jawaharlal Nehru Road - in Calcutta. This was the main north-south route through the city at the time, leading to Chitpore in the north and Chowringhee in the south. It ran two miles along the east side of the Maidan.
A number of new buildings were under construction at the time Wood drew this picture. Three of them are portrayed here, between the Oil Bazaar and Jaun Bazaar Street. From the 1770s the Chowringhee area became the main European residential part of Calcutta, and as William Hodges wrote: "The buildings are on a large scale, from the neccessity of having a fine circulation of air ... The general approach to the houses is by a flight of steps, with great projecting porticoes, or surrounded by colonnades or arcades, which gives them the appearance of Grecian temples".