Chowringhee Road. General Post Office. Lindsay St. Manohur Doss's Tank
Artist: Wood, William (fl. 1827-1833)
This lithograph derives from plate 11 from William Wood's 'Views of Calcutta'.
Calcutta's tanks or artificial reservoirs were an integral part of the city. The European quarters, especially the Chowringhee district, contained some of the largest tanks in the city. The tanks were usually fed by a series of local springs, and the British saw to it that they were squared up and provided with embankments.