Chowringhee Road. Entrance to the Sudderdewany Adalut, Native Court of Justice
Artist: Wood, William (fl. 1827-1833)
This lithograph is taken from plate 13 of William Wood's 'Views of Calcutta'. The Sudder Dewany Adawlut building on Speke Street (later Sudder Street) was set well back from the road and only its entrance is visible in Wood's print. It housed the part of the Calcutta Court of Justice that dealt with native cases: the law was administered according to Hindu or Muslim legal codes, depending on the case. The Indian Museum was erected in front of the court in the 20th century.