Chowringhee Road. Kyd Street
Artist: Wood, William (fl. 1827-1833)
This lithograph is taken from plate 14 of William Wood's 'Views of Calcutta'. Speke Street was the location of one of the best known government departments in Calcutta, the Sudder Dewany Adawlut. This was one of two courts of appeal in the city. It dealt with civil cases from outside Calcutta, and the law was administered according to Hindu or Muslim legal codes as appropriate. The rear of the Sudder Dewany Adawlut, could be seen from Kyd Street, as shown in this picture. Speke Street is now known as Sudder Street.