Chowringhee Road. Park Street. Asiatic Society's House
Artist: Wood, William (fl. 1827-1833)
This lithograph derives from plate 15 of William Wood's 'Views of Calcutta'.
This view of Chowringhee Road shows the Asiatic Society buildings at the junction with Park Street. Founded in 1784, the society acquired this land from the government in 1805 and had constructed these buildings by 1808. Warren Hastings was its first patron and Sir William Jones its first president.
Jones (1746-94) had dreamed of a scholarly society to investigate all activities of man and nature in Asia, and Jones had established the society within four months of his arrival in Calcutta in September 1783. Still in existence, the Asiatic Society has had a pivotal role in 'Oriental' studies.