Chowringhee Road Plate 18
Artist: Wood, William (fl. 1827-1833)
This lithograph is taken from plate 18 of William Wood's 'Views of Calcutta'. Chowringhee Road (now Jawaharlal Nehru Road) ran through the main European residential area of Calcutta. It was then the primary north-south road through the city, extending from Chitpore in the north to Chowringhee in the south, and running for two miles along the east side of Calcutta's Maidan (the green meadow in the heart of the city).
The name of the road possibly derives from the old Bengali village of Chorangey. The buildings along Chowringhee Road, together with those of Esplanade Row, framed the Esplanade and formed the backdrop to Fort William. Together, these created a grand vista that made a deep impression on visitors to Calcutta.