Artist: Wood, William (fl. 1827-1833)
This lithograph is taken from plate 27 of William Wood's 'Views of Calcutta'.Work began on Calcutta's new fort in October 1757 in Gobindpore, then a village south of the city. Designed by John Brohier, the fort was an irregular octagon with seven gates, surrounded by extensive defences. It was large enough to act as a refuge for Calcutta's entire population.
Above each of the gates was a residence for commanding officers. The towers in the print are those of the fort church of Saint Peter. The construction of the fort altered the entire urban plan of Calcutta and the city flourished and grew under its protective ramparts. Large areas of the jungle were cleared to provide a clear line of fire, and the resulting flat spaces were eventually filled by buildings.