A view in the Bazaar, leading to the Chitpore Road
Artist: Fraser, James Baillie
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
This is plate 24 from James Baillie Fraser's 'Views of Calcutta and its Environs'. Fraser (1783-1856) arrived in Calcutta in 1814 and within six years had produced animated sketches of the busy city. The last plate in the collection is this view of the bazaar leading to the Chitpore Road, effectively the border between native and European parts of the city.
Fraser wrote: "At the east end of Esplanade Row, the European quarter continued if one turned at right angles southwards down the Chowringhee Road. However, if one turned left up Cossitollah Street (named from its being the butcher's quarter originally), one began to enter the Indian city, and especially so when this road crossed the Lall Bazaar and became the Chitpore Road. The Street exhibits a bewildering mix of Indian and decaying Palladian architecture, but is very obviously a bazaar. Cossitollah Street had in it a large number of purely European businesses."