Northern Entrance of Gundecotta Pass
Artist: Anburey, Sir Thomas (1759-1840)
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
This is plate 7 from 'Hindoostan Scenery consisting of Twelve Select Views in India' by Francis Jukes (1746-1812) and Thomas Anburey (1759-1840) of the Corps of Engineers in Bengal.
Gandikot, or 'fort of the gorge', was built in 1589. It was held by the Golconda kings, and in the 18th century came under control of Hyder Ali, King of Mysore. It was captured by the British in 1791.
Anburey took part in the Third Mysore War against Tipu Sultan in 1791 and was clearly impressed by the grand scenery near the Fort at Gandikotta, situated above the River Penner Gorge. The fort of Gandikotta was ceded to the Nizam of Hyderabad in the treaty of March 1792.