View near the Circular Road
Artist: D'Oyly, Sir Charles (1781-1845)
Medium: Lithograph, coloured
This coloured lithograph is taken from plate 2 of Sir Charles D'Oyly's 'Views of Calcutta and its Environs'. Calcutta's Circular Road was one of the improvements implemented in 1798 by Marquess Wellesley on his appointment as Governor-General. The road circled Calcutta for eight miles, following the Maratha Ditch, which had been dug as a defence against Maratha attacks.
Split into Upper and Lower Circular Roads, its lower end terminated just before Tolly's Nulla. This watercourse was named after Colonel Tolly, who excavated it from the dried-up bed of Kidderpore Creek in 1776, forming a canal that linked the river Hooghly to the Sunderbans channels of the delta in the east.