Office of the Sudder Board of Revenue from Kyd St
Artist: D'Oyly, Sir Charles (1781-18
Medium: Lithograph, coloured
This coloured lithograph was taken from plate 10 from Sir Charles D'Oyly's 'Views of Calcutta and its Environs'. Built first as a private home in 1790, these offices were first rented by the government for use as the Sadr Diwani Adalat, meaning Native Court of Appeal. At the time D'Oyly drew this image the court had just been transferred to a new building , and the Sudder Board of Revenue instituted in its place. Within its grounds was the reservour known as the Sieve Tank, so called because of a screen allowing public access to the tank but not the grounds.