General view of Calcutta, from the entrance to the Water Gate of Fort William
Artist: D'Oyly, Sir Charles (1781-1845)
Medium: Lithograph, coloured
This coloured lithograph is taken from plate 11 of Sir Charles D'Oyly's 'Views of Calcutta and its environs'. One of three views of the Esplanade, this image concentrates on the Strand, which had recently been extended from Chandpal Ghat beyond Fort William. Government House is in the distance on the right. Shown in the centre, Chandpal Ghat was the official landing-place for boats in Calcutta. East India Company ships and budgerows (or bazras: passenger-carrying native barges) can be seen on the left.