Calcutta from the Old Course
Artist: D'Oyly, Sir Charles (1781-1845)
Medium: Lithograph, coloured
This coloured lithograph is taken from plate 14 from Sir Charles D'Oyly's 'Views of Calcutta and its Environs'. The Old Course was a road running across Calcutta's Maidan, a large open space allowing a clear view of the public buildings and large private houses along Esplanade Row and Chowringhee Road. It was also used as a fashionable drive by the city's European community. The post- and chain-fencing enclosed an area known as the 'cocked hat', because of its shape. In the centre of the print is the sentry-box, with Government House in the distance to its right.