Entrance to Barrackpore
Artist: D'Oyly, Sir Charles (1781-1845)
Medium: Lithograph, coloured
This coloured lithograph is taken from plate 16b of Sir Charles D'Oyly's 'Views of Calcutta and its Environs'. The plate contains two separate images. This second one shows the entrance to the extensive grounds at Barrackpore. Home to successive commanders-in-chief of the British army, the building was converted into a palatial summer residence by Marquess Wellesley in 1800. The grounds were landscaped to resemble an English garden, providing a suitable setting for leisure activities of British aristocrats in Calcutta.