Statue of the Marquis of Hastings in Tank Square
Artist: D'Oyly, Sir Charles (1781-1845)
Medium: Lithograph, coloured
This coloured lithograph is taken from plate 21 of Sir Charles D'Oyly's 'Views of Calcutta and its Environs'. Francis Rawdon, the first Marquess of Hastings, was British Governor-General from 1813 to 1823. His belligerent policies greatly extended the frontiers of British rule in India, and he and his wife Flora were at the centre of Calcutta society.
This portico containing Chantrey's statue of Lord Hastings was erected in 1824 on the south side of Tank Square (later Dalhousie Square, now BBD Bagh). It faced Wellesley Place and the north entrance of Government House. Behind the portico is the central block of Writers Buildings, where new employees of the East India Company lived. The portico was incorporated into the Dalhousie Institute built in 1865.