Chowringhee Road from No. IX Esplanade
Artist: D'Oyly, Sir Charles (1781-1845)
Medium: Lithograph, coloured
This coloured lithograph was taken from plate 25 of Sir Charles D'Oyly's 'Views of Calcutta and its Environs'. Chowringhee Road formed part of the main residential area for Europeans in Calcutta. This view was taken from No 11 Esplanade Row and looks across the reservoir, Dhurrumtollah (Dharamtola) Tank. Prominent in the distance is the column of the Monument to Sir David Ochterlony. A strange mix of Egyptian, Turkish and Greek styles, it is 152 feet high and is now known as the Shahid Minar or Martyr's Turret in memory of Indian freedom fighters. It was erected in 1828 by public subscription, in honour of Ochterlony who obtained victory in the Anglo-Nepalese War of 1814-16.