The Mission Bungalow and School House, Theog. The Forests of Mahassone and Phago in the distance
Artist: Scott, Mrs WLL
This lithograph is taken from plate 10 of 'Views in the Himalayas' by Mrs WLL Scott. It was sketched at sunrise on the road just above Theog Bungalow, the schoolhouse built by the Reverend Wilkinson, who "gave up the comforts and blessings of a ministerial residence in England to preach the Gospel to the benighted brethren", dying in Shimla in 1849. The two eldest of his seven children were also missionaries.
Scott deplored those who refused to provide funds for the labours of such missionaries, on the grounds that they were dissenters from the Church. In her view, they were qualified clergymen, just as entitled to deference and respect as the faithful ministers of the Church establishment, and preached the same doctrines.