Simla from Mahassoo
Artist: Scott, AE (fl. 1829 - 1874)
Plate five from AE Scott's 'Simla Scenes'. Simla was established as the summer capital of the British in India during the Nepal War of 1815. It was enlarged in 1822 when Captain Charles Kennedy moved here, having been appointed Superintendent of the Hill States. Simla was favoured to Calcutta in the summer months because of its pleasant climate. The station rapidly acquired a reputation as a sanatorium.
Simla is built across a range of hills and connecting ridges. The area has spectacular views, with rows of snow capped peaks disappearing in the distance. To the south are the Kasauli Hills and the valley of the Sutlej. Scott presents us with a view of Simla from Mahasu Peak in this picture.