North East View of the Cotsea Bhaug, on the River Jumna
Artist and engraver: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
Plate 3 from the first set of Thomas Daniell's 'Oriental Scenery.' The Qudsiya Bagh is a complex of summer palace, mosque and walled garden built by Udham Bai, the Qudsiya Begum, wife of the Emperor Muhammad Shah (1719-48) and mother of Ahmad Shah (1748-54). It was laid out in the 1750s along the west bank of the river Jumna, north of Shah Jahan's palace and fort in Delhi, which may be seen in the distance. The jalis or latticed screens in the corner towers are remarkable. Only the mosque now survives.