The Western Entrance of Shere Sha's Fort
Artist and engraver: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
Plate 13 from the first set of Thomas Daniell's 'Oriental Scenery.' The Old Fort or Purana Qila was built by the Afghan ruler Sher Shah after he ascended to the throne in Delhi in 1540. It was raised on the site of the remains of the legendary city of Indraprastha, home of the Pandava heros of the Mahahbharata epic. The western gate along the big ramparts is two-storeyed and is constructed of red and yellow sandstone and white marble and surmounted by small chhatris or kiosks. The remains of a moat which connected with the Jumna river on one side of the Fort are visible in the print.