The Armenian Bridge, near St Thomas's Mount, Madras
Artist and engraver: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
Plate 10 from the second set of Thomas and William Daniell's 'Oriental Scenery'. The old bridge on the Adyar River was originally built in 1726 by an Armenian, as recorded by a Latin inscription on it, and has been replaced by the Marmalong Bridge. The Little Mount in the distance is connected with the story of the martyrdom of the Apostle St Thomas who went to India after the Crucifixion and lived there periodically. It is crowned by a Portuguese church built in 1612.