Western Entrance of Fort St George
Artist and engraver: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
Plate12 from the second set of Thomas and William Daniell's 'Oriental Scenery'. The English East India Company was invited by the local ruler to set up a factory at Madraspatnam in 1639, and during the following year the Company began to fortify its leased site and called it Fort St George. The fortifcations were strengthened over the years to protect it from the armies of the French and of the rulers of Mysore, and many buildings were erected within its fortifications. Government House, with its colonnaded verandah, can be seen rising above the fort wall to the left, and to the right of the flag the tower of St Mary's Church. The bridge in the foreground led from the Governor's country house across the Coum River.