Interior View of the Palace, Madura
Artist and engraver: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
Plate 15 from the second set of Thomas and William Daniell's 'Oriental Scenery.' The Svarga Vilas or 'Celestial Pavilion' of Tirumala Nayak's Palace at Madurai was built in 1636. The pointed ceiling supported by stone ribs is held up by massive circular columns topped by piers and linked by pointed scallopped arches, with an arcaded gallery opening into the nave above the side aisles. The hall was in a state of disrepair at the time of the artists' visit who deplored that it '...is at present of little more use than affording shelter to cattle'. The hall was later used by the British as government offices and law courts, and fully restored in 1871-82..