The Rock of Trichinopoly, taken on the River Cauvery
Artist and engraver: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
Plate 19 from the second set of Thomas and William Daniell's 'Oriental Scenery.' Tiruchchirappalli, in the central Tamil Nadu country, is characterised by a granite rock rising abruptly from the bank of the Kaveri river. This natural feature made this place an important Hindu centre, occupied successively by the Pandyas, Cholas and Vijayanagara governors, and by the Nawab of Arcot when the Daniells visited it. Its natural strength was enhanced by a great fortress built around the rock as a citadel, the siege of which figured prominently in the Anglo-French Carnatic Wars in the middle of the 18th century. On the western side of the rock, half-way up, as seen here on the right is a massive walled temple of the 17th century.