The Great Pagoda, Trichinopoly
Artist and engraver: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
Plate 20 from the second set of Thomas and William Daniell's 'Oriental Scenery'. The temple of Tiruchchirapalli was built on the west flank of the rock by the Nayaka ruler of Madurai in the 1660s. It is contained within bare high walls and therefore looks much like a fortress. The temple complex contains a linga shrine and a sanctuary dedicated to the goddess Devi.