View in the Fort of Trichinopoly
Artist and engraver: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
Plate 21 from the second set of Thomas and William Daniell's 'Oriental Scenery'. The Daniells wrote, 'The fort of Tritchinopoly belongs to the nabob of the Carnatic, but is garrisoned by the English. Its walls are nearly four miles in extent, and surrounded by a broad and deep ditch'. A small pavilion and a shrine dedicated to Ganesa crowns the top of the rock, and thatched huts are grouped around a sacred bathing tank east of the rock.