A Mosque at Juanpore
Artist and engraver: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
Plate 9 from the third set of Thomas and William Daniell's 'Oriental Scenery.'
Jaunpur in eastern India north-west of Varanasi became the capital of an independent Muslim kingdom upon the break-up of the Delhi Sultanate after Timur's invasion of 1398. The Jami‘ Masjid of Jaunpur was built largely in the reign of Sultan Husain Sharqi (1458-79), the last of the independent dynasty. It suffered at the hands of Sultan Sikandar Lodi of Delhi when he captured Jaunpur in 1476, when some its enclosing arcades and gateways were demolished. Jaunpur was also the centre of a very distinctive style of Indo-Islamic architecture. The Jami' Mosque has some of the distinctive features of the style, as seen in the uniting of iwan and minars by a massive arched portal leading into the domed prayer hall into a massive battered arched portal.