An Hindoo Temple at Deo in Bahar
Artist and engraver: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
Plate 5 from the fifth set of Thomas and William Daniell's 'Oriental Scenery' called 'Antiquities of India.' The Chaturbhuja Vishnu temple in the village of Deo in western Bihar was originally consecrated to the god Surya in the 10th century and converted into a Vishnu temple in the 15th century. The curvilinear superstructure, typical of Northern India, is crowned by an 'amalaka', a ribbed doughnut-shaped stone. Particularly noteworthy are the graceful balconies on either side of the mandapa which, unusally, flood the interior with light.