Part of the interior of the Elephanta
Artist and engraver: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
Plate 8 from the fifth set of Thomas and William Daniell's 'Oriental Scenery' called 'Antiquities of India.' The island of Elephanta, an hour by boat from Bombay, is famous for its 6th century Hindu cave temple and the Trimurti, the great triple-headed bust representing the three aspects of Shiva. The main shrine, dated to the 6th Century, consists of a square flat-roofed sanctuary enshrining a Shiva linga, surrounded by a pillared hall for circumambulation. The doorways are on the four sides and are flanked by colossal guardian figures. The columns are monolithic and have partly fluted shafts and cushion capitals.