Plate 9 from the third part of James Prinsep's 'Benares Illustrated'. Prinsep (1799-1840), an antiquary and colonial administrator was assay master at the Benares Mint between 1820-30. The lithographs published in this collection were based on his original sketches of the various views of the 'holy' city of the Hindus. Of this plate he writes: 'The present [view] is in fact only a reduced copy in outline of one of [Col. Garstin's ] delineations. The temple of Vishveshvur consists of two dewuls connected by a portico or subha-mundup. The principal dewul, which contains the lingam of Mahadeo, is more lofty to mark its superiority over the other, which is called the Dundpan or "the staff-bearers"...The court surrounding the temple is inclosed with a covered arcade, also in the Mahommedan style, with bulging pillows and the scalloped, or mehrab, arches'.